My goodness – it’s been quite a while. …I know, I know – I start every.single.post. in pretty much the same manner, as of late.
While I might not be blogging as often – the blogosphere is not far from my mind…and food is – most definitely – not far from my mouth.
I had been resisting the urge to get into the *holiday* spirit…I always feel bad for Thanksgiving…it’s that middle child – and between Halloween and Christmas, the kings of the “gimme, gimme” holidays, it often gets overlooked.
Not by me. I absolutely LOVE Thanksgiving! Dare I say it is my favorite one?
- One. Any holiday based on consuming copious amounts of comfort food is A-okay in my book.
- Two. I love spending time with my family – catching up, watching football and just been bums.
- …and Three. It’s just great to be with family – solely for the reason that you want to be together…no gift giving/receiving…it’s based on being selfless..not selfish.
My tree and decorations won’t be up until December – but I don’t think that Thanksgiving would mind if I love on some holiday flavors…like eggnog…and gingerbread.
Speaking of gingerbread…. I’ve had my eye on Mama Pea’s Pumpkin Molasses Cookie Dough Balls …. Basically, all of her little cookie concoctions have been on my “to make ASAP” list…and the gingerbread-y flavors of the pumpkin molasses cookies finally got me baking.
Pumpkin Molasses Cookie Dough Balls
adapted from Mama Pea
2430 dough balls — I used a Tablespoon to scoop & got 30 cookies out of this batch
- 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 c. unbleached organic flour – I used regular all-purpose
- 1 T. ginger
- 2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/3 c. vegan margarine (i.e. Earth Balance) — I used margarine…but it wasn’t vegan
- 2/3 c. canned pumpkin
- 2/3 c. organic sugar + additional 1/4 c. for rolling – I used what I had left of natural sugar and then the rest – just plain ole granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. molasses
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, cream together margarine, pumpkin, 2/3 c. sugar and molasses.
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients, mixing until a dough comes together.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes or more. When dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees and pour remaining sugar into a shallow bowl.
- Scoop dough into balls and roll until smooth.
- Roll each ball sugar until completely covered.
- Transfer dough to a cookie sheet and continue until sheet is filled.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cookies should be set, but still a bit doughy. (I needed the full 10)
- Allow cookies to cool on the pan for several minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
My favorite part of these lil’ beauties is definitely the texture…doughy but still light and fluffy.
I might play with the amount of molasses in these the next time I make them…they’re great as is – but I’m a huge fan of that molasses/gingerbread flavor and wouldn’t mind punching it up maybe a notch or two.
However – if you’re craving gingerbread…